Sonnet Stitches

Knitting, mostly. With occasional kvetching, lots of adventures, gratuitous cat photos and a healthy appreciation for the absurd.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I've been birthdayed

Sorry this is so late. I started to write this long, pompous post about the 10th anniversary of my adulthood, but then I ran out of steam.

It's not very exciting. I turned 28. I've managed to make some improvements on my life since I was 18, but I've also managed to do a lot of swimming in circles.

I've also managed to amass some friends who go nuts in the lavishing gifts upon the birthday girl department. If you click on the pic, there are tags explaining where everything came from.


The swift came from Teri and Jo Minor. The card in the front right was also handmade by Teri. The shiny green and silver yarn was a Christmas present from my birthday twin, Gwen, with whom I sadly didn't get to celebrate this year because she had to up and move to D.C. The red and orange yarn up front is from Stacey, climber of big rocks and knitting student extraordinaire. The green Dream in Color SMOOSHY is from Teri. The rust-colored Karabella is from Jo Minor, and oh my goodness, it is soft.

Speaking of soft, the bright green yarn in the middle is Wollemeise, color Farn, from Molly Weasley. When the shipment came into Knit Wit I agonized over whether to get that one or the orange and green one I went home with (and yes, Jo, I'm keeping it). Christine was with me and apparently got all sneaky and bought me the other skein when I wasn't paying attention.

The brown yarn cake is from Carmen, and it's dyed by the inimitable Andrea, whose personality I enjoy just as much as her color sense. The "Knitting Vintage Socks" book is from Jo Minor. The Trekking is from me to me, because Trekking is a small consolation prize for having to get one year closer to 30. The rest is either assorted birthday card love from my family or elaborated below.




The view from above of all the yarn goodies. You'll notice, I am sure, a color theme. Do you think these people know me, or what?



I have a thing about mirrors with interesting frames. My bedroom wall is covered with them. It makes my room look magically bigger, it reflects light, and, best of all, I can paint my walls any color I want, and the mirrors will still match. I also love Victorian Trading Company. The spouse braved it (it's quite estrogen-heavy) in order to find me this mirror. Excuse the blurry picture. The mirror is now hanging on my wall where I can admire the colors anytime I want.



Carmen made me the green project bag, AND the needle and notion cases. I love them and I am really digging the green fabric.

And, last but not least, Amber made me this:



It's the VERY FIRST MisKnits stitch marker! Shown here on my lap, with size 00 needles knitting the toe of a sock in Regia Kaffe Fassett striping yarn.

I was so excited I did a dance in my chair.



P made the above in her printmaking class. It's the elusive, rarely photographed "Paisley of the Sea." The nice lady at Hobby Lobby who took my framing order didn't get it, alas. But then again, I'm the kind of person who can ask "Can you spit-splice llama?" without thinking she's saying anything odd.

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

Woo Hoo! Happy very belated birthday. It was Schaeffer Anne. It apparently lost it's tag around the way. I thought it looked like you.

I love that mirror. Props to Gary!

Gwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|