Sonnet Stitches

Knitting, mostly. With occasional kvetching, lots of adventures, gratuitous cat photos and a healthy appreciation for the absurd.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sock progress


Half-finished entrelac socks
Originally uploaded by knitjoknit
This is what an entrelac sock looks like after it's been ripped out five times to get the fit exactly right. None of this "a couple of more rows until it hits my ankle" business when you're working in tiers.

Because she will gripe and complain otherwise, let's give credit where credit is due: It was Jo Minor's idea to knit the Eunny Jang entrelac socks using two colors of Trekking XXL (in my case, my stash had a pink-purple and a blue-purple) instead of Koigu.

I happen to love entrelac, and this is one of three in-progress entrelac projects I have going at the moment. Yes, I have startitis.

- - - - - - - -

Oh, and here's something you don't hear every day:

Strange man in coffee shop: "Hi, do I know you? You look really familiar, and you're looking at me like you know me, too."

Me (who, for the record, was just smiling because he was smiling at me, which is generally my reaction to people who stare at me while I knit in public): "I don't know; people say I look familiar all the time. Where are you from?"

SMICS: "North Central Kansas."

Jo Minor: "I've only heard one other person call it that - my boyfriend!"

(discussion ensues about all the podunk Kansas landmarks that he grew up with and she recognizes, all the while my eyes cross)

Me: "... I'm from Oklahoma."

SMICS: "Oh, well, that whole state is podunk. Ha! Anyway, nice to meet you, my name is Chris..." (offers handshake)

Me (shaking hand): "Hi, Chris, I'm Joanna."

Jo Minor: (also shaking hand): "Hi, I'm Johanna."

Chris (making The Face That People Make When they Get Introduced to Us): "Wow. You're Joanna, and you're Johanna, and you're knitting. Make sure you don't wear floral dresses before you're 40."

He walks away. I cannot help but laugh, thinking that's the most amusing unsolicited insult I've heard in awhile.

- - - - - - -


Confidential to someone who I am 90% sure will never read this blog:

I am sorry. And I have foot-in-mouth disease. And I am really, really sorry.

4 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Christy said...

Haha...I knew a Chris from North Central Kansas. Was he from Beloit? :D

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

I freakin' love those socks!!!! They look so cool. You have an amazing ability to put together colors and make them work.

Gwen

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Ceci said...

Those socks are amazing, Jo! Soooo pretty. Thank goodness you're not a knitter or you wouldn't be hip enough to wear them. ;)

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger mel said...

I am so behind!! But I love, love love your sock and I can't believe I'm just getting around to letting you know. It's gorgeous and I hope it's coming along well - beautiful colors and wonderful knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|