Sonnet Stitches

Knitting, mostly. With occasional kvetching, lots of adventures, gratuitous cat photos and a healthy appreciation for the absurd.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

You've got a pink kink in your think


Jo's Fair Isle Hat
Originally uploaded by tjstein
It all started with a skein of aubergine Brown Sheep at Amber's shop. And then it collected some friends before it went home.

I did it top down, starting with an invisible cast-on, so while it is, sadly, pointy on the top, it's also extremely smooth. I tried not to jack up the speckles at the increase points, but in retrospect I could have planned better. The fair isle band is from an Alice Starmore book I borrowed from the guild library. I picked it because it fit the stitch count I had when the crown was done. Usually, when I do colorwork, the floats are too tight and I have something that looks like it survived a hailstorm, so I tried to compensate. Well... I overcompensated, and ended up with a really big hat. I frogged the ribbing but didn't want to frog the fair isle, so I borrowed some advice from The Late Great Elizabeth Zimmermann (we need to come up with a gesture to make or a chime sound every time her name is invoked). She says if your sweater turns out too big, you re-knit the ribbing at the bottom, sleeves, and ribbing at a tighter gauge, and then you will be much happier. So I decreased, hiding the decreases in the ribbing, and then I went down to a size 3 (yes, on worsted-weight yarn), switched colors, did another inch of ribbing, hid some more decreases in the ribbing, and did a sewn bind-off. Now the hat is still big but it stays securely on my head.

The Other Jo thinks it needs a pom pom to hide the point. Amber likes the point. I got a couple of other votes at UFO Wednesday for tassles. I have an uptight coworker who would go absolutely ballistic if the tassle included a jingle bell. What's everybody else's opinion?

4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Trixie said...

I love that hat!! Now that you mention the jingle bell, I'm going to have to throw in my vote for that. Maybe a felted ball with the jingle bell hidden inside so the coworker can't tell were the sound is coming from. Then act like he is the only one hearing it. (Insert evil laugh here.) >;) Amber

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I actually really like the idea of a tassel. So I take back what I said about the pom-pom.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

I kind of like it the way it is.

It's totally cool!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Sharon Rose said...

Tassels! Plural!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|